Friday, April 17, 2009

CTS 838: Raptor one-five to Bemis

Borrowing a page from BSG, I call long turnaround runs Raptor one-five missions. Basically I'll use the Hammer of Dawn and run for a certain distance and then turn around at that spot and return.

The first time I did it was the other day when I ran 10 miles on the Silver Comet.

Even before this trip I had in my head I would get a long run in at Bemis Woods. I didn't want to do another 10 mile run so soon, as it really took a while to recover from it.

So I settled on 8 miles. Instead of leaving one of my parents' cars at the forest preserve parking lot, I decided I would just run from home and turn around when the Hammer of Dawn said 4 miles.

It's nice being able to run a bit of distance again because it means I can go places.

Not too bad down the flat grid rows in my parents' neighborhood. It was a little tricky crossing Ogden Avenue into the Bemis Woods entrance because the traffic is so bad.

I was happy to be back on the Salt Creek Trail and dutifully turned around at my spot (I was glad I didn't run farther).

All in all a pretty nice outing. I was pretty wrecked from yesterday's run but felt really refreshed today.

Time: 9 a.m.
Temp: 48 degrees
Gear: LST (Brookfield Zoo Run), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D2.

No comments: