Wednesday, April 8, 2009

CTS 829: Silver Comet 10-mile

SMYRNA, Ga. -- It's been 6-1/2 years and I had never found my way to the Silver Comet Trail until today*

One reason was that I was never sure where to access it and I am very unfamiliar with that part of the 'burbs.

So I drove around for a while but lucked out and found a sign that said "Silver Comet Trail" and then "Silver Comet Trail parking" that led me to Milepost 0.

It was fun -- there weren't so many people out and I decided I would run out five miles and then turn around and come back.

At first I didn't really like the angled nature of the path of the first mile or so. My legs were really fighting me -- and later I think I discovered why-- it's a slight grade but totally uphill!

I was happy to meet up with the Mableton trailhead at Mile 4.2 but I decided I'd still continue on until I hit 5 miles on the Hammer of Dawn.

When that happened, I turned around and was pretty pleased it was all downhill the rest of the way.

Ten miles was arbitrary -- I felt that I really had to push it at the end of the ING Georgia Half Marathon, so I should do less miles.

I think my current range is about 8-9 miles. Inside the last mile to go I had to worry about leg cramps.

But I got it done. It will be an excellent place to train and explore from here on out.

Time: 2 p.m.
Temp: 53 degrees
Gear: LST (Ted's), shorts, AP/D2.

*To run on the trail, that is. I did cover the grisly killing of the cyclist for my news organization a few years back at around Mile 16.

No comments: