Wednesday, April 4, 2007

ING Race Director's letter

Interesting e-mail letter from the race director of the ING Georgia Marathon and Half-Marathon.

I really wasn't disappointed with the race. I felt like it could have been better in a few areas that I'll outline below (and already have written about). Of course, I'm the kind of guy who can run a 13-mile race with one sip of water in between. LOL.

1). Eliminate the Juniper spur on 14th street for the half-marathon.

2). Make sure there is Powerade or some kind of sports drink available.

3). There was water immediately after the finish line but not any located after the post-race snacks. I thought that was crazy. These pretzels are making me thirsty, to steal a line from Seinfeld.

Congratulations on being a part of the Inaugural ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon!

It was truly an amazing day, one that I have been working on for more than two years. Preparing for race day was just like preparing for my first marathon. I was determined to complete it. I did my training, but I knew I really would not know what it was all about until the day was finished. Until I had completed my first marathon...

Now we know many things. We know what to do and what not to do. We know about working with the mayors, the cities and their agencies, with the neighborhoods, the vendors, our title sponsor ING and all of our sponsors, and the volunteers. Most importantly, we know more about YOU, the participants, who believed in the dream and made it come true!

The start photos are incredible and the feedback on the race course is phenomenal. Even though there were quite a few "healthy" hills, everyone seemed to agree that it is one of the most beautiful urban race courses in the U.S.

We want to thank each and every one of you for taking part in making history with our inaugural event. We had a 97% completion rate even with the record-breaking temperatures; the event was a wonderful success.

We have taken this past week to review all of the difficulties that we encountered in the various areas and I can assure you that each challenge that occurred will be resolved. We will not have the logistical and fluid problems next year. We have learned from our mistakes the hard way. I can assure you that none of these problems will happen at the 2008 ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon set for March 30, 2008. We are always open to constructive feedback, feel free to send us an email with your comments at info@inggeorgiamarathon.com.

By learning from our mistakes, we will become stronger, better, and more determined to provide the safest and most passionate marathon and half marathon possible.
We will keep this dream alive as it is here to stay! Thank you.

Sincerely,

Victoria Seahorn
Race Director
ING Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon
Atlanta, Georgia
www.inggeorgiamarathon.com

No comments: