Sunday, April 22, 2007

An accidental Tour sighting

This afternoon, pedaling into work, I found the last stage of the Tour de Georgia came my way.

Right across Boulevard, I had to wait as a convoy of police motorcycles passed. Then another one that said "Race Marshal."

Then some other cars.

Then the main pack of the race. It was really cool, seeing dozens of pro cyclers whiz by on the turn. I could only identify the CSC team from Denmark. Still, it made me giddy.

Then the roads opened up and I could make my way to work.

I'm plodding along on Baker when some guy, all decked out in cycling gear (but not good enough to be in the Tour, lol) passes me in his Specialized road bike. It wasn't too long before I was right on his wheel. I wasn't even in the fastest gear.

And then I took the next two hills to Peachtree.

Let's do the math. I climbed 1,378 stairs. And then ran six miles. And then biked a few miles to an assignment today and then to work. And I'm in a hybrid. And I'm 36 and not even sore.

It's going to be a different kind of game when Trek makes my rocket. I'm just sayin'.

No comments: