Friday, April 6, 2007

A block of wood

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
-Fight Club

It started out this morning as a calm little run with a deadline. Then it turned frenzied, and fierce and faster with every hill I climbed.

At 42 degrees, it was the perfect day for that kind of thing. I brought out the CFLSTs again, although I felt a little warm in it mid-run. Maybe socks for my wrists next time.

I didn't have a lot of time this morning before I met the girl, so I went out on my regular Middlebear H-Loop course. I thought that if I felt good enough to do the whole thing, I would just call and apologize and say I was running late.

But I felt like my feet were flat today, I was wondering if the shoes were nearing the end of their lifespan (about 450 miles on them already).

So I turned back on the road that parallels Ponce and really hoofed it race-pace up the hills leading to Moreland.

I don't know why some days you run faster than others. I thought about lots of things, including how I'm prolly in shape for the stair climb. I just wanted to run faster and faster and I was really getting pissed off there were so many hills! lol.

Part of it was nervousness in anticipation of meeting up with the girl. Another part was just wanting to know my limits -- if I ran fast enough, would my heart pop out of my chest at the top of this hill? Thankfully, that didn't happen.

The allergies were doing a number on my right eye, water was coming out of it like tears. It was pretty weird but I just ignored it and kept on the run.

There was a time when I was a wad of cookie dough, as in the movie Fight Club. But as I near running 100 days in a row, I'm less and less so, no longer.

No comments: