Saturday, April 14, 2007

Freedom (sans helmet)

Tonight I went to see an out-of-town band play in Little Five Points and I didn't want to be carrying a bag inside a venue, so I stripped things down to their barest -- I looped my Bulldog lock around my handlebars, clicked my headlamp into place and went out without my helmet.

OK, I wouldn't recommend this for anyone else. But it was nice to be out again without one. I spent a few years biking to work in Japan this way, on my old Yosemite mountain bike, a 50-minute commute each way.

I rode my old Cannondale mountain bike tonight, filled up the Kevlar-lined fat tires (the police here use the same kind of tires on their bikes), and I liked how it brought me close to the ground. The fiberglass kickstand I brought back from Japan on it also was helpful.

And no issues. Everything worked like a charm. I won't be out without my helmet more, but for once it was like freedom.

No comments: