Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 1,342: 20 mile run

Today was my third 20 mile run in preparation for the Oct. 10 Bank of America Chicago Marathon and my sixth of seven long runs for the race.

When I started out I could tell this one wouldn't be as easy as last week's 20. I really struggled the first three miles and my right knee didn't feel right -- no pain but just different. It righted itself after the fourth mile.

I had eaten a small square slice of lasagna and had some Diet Coke before the run. I felt thirsty pretty early, at four miles, although I didn't drink my Gatorade mix until I was on Marietta Street, at about 6.7 and 7.4 miles.

I continued on and did the Georgia State loop before going to my office for water and a shirt change. I ate a GU pack then and then set on my way.

At 10th and 14th streets I drank most of my water. I was a little thirsty going into the turnaround at Atlantic Station but knew that I'd be able to get some water soon at the grocery store.

There, I drank a bunch of water (two sips of about 20 seconds each and a third of 32 seconds) and then refilled my bottle.

Going back wasn't too bad. I decided to turn into the park to the dog park and was happy for the restrooms at 17.75 miles. Drank about half of my water bottle here.

On the way back, I could have used some Sport Beans. I didn't think I needed another GU pack but this time I could have snacked on the jelly beans, which I didn't bring this time around. Just goes to show that you really don't know what you'll need or use on a run, so it's better to have a good variety.

Time: 6:11 a.m.
Temp: 68 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Cherry Blossom, Champion C9 gray), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/C.

No comments: