Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 1,364: Doug Kessler Lightning 10K

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. -- This was my first running of this 10K race, which is a nice community event tied to the Sandy Springs Festival.

I didn't have any goals in this race, I just mainly wanted to run well. Last year this race was on the same day as the Big Peach Sizzler 10K and so I chose the Big Peach race. Unfortunately I feel their shirts are ugly, an opinion confirmed in my mind as I saw someone wear last week's Sizzler 10K shirt at the start line of this race!

The start felt a little congested and it set the tone for the out and back course. By the first mile I was able to free myself up a little.

Mt. Vernon Highway is a pretty drive, lined with trees and a few Civil War history markers. It mainly felt like it was downhill the first half of the race and then rolling hills/uphill for the last half!

Still, this felt like it was to my benefit. I pretended the race was the Big Peach Fall Five Miler, which has its share of rolling hills.

I used the muscle above my left knee as an indicator of fatigue. It felt really good so I kept pushing and attacking the hills. I had a pretty nice kick at the very end of the race and just made it under the 50 minute time to qualify for Group A of the Peachtree Road Race. This would be my third consecutive race qualifying for Group A.

I can't really say how this will prepare me for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon but it's good to be in running shape leading up to the bigger event.

Time: 8 a.m.
Temp: 70 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Patagonia, Red), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/C.

No comments: