Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 1,352: A two-watch system

Before Friday's 20-miler I realized that the Hammer of Dawn had no juice so I used my replacement Garmin Forerunner 405 that had 54 percent battery life in it.

Now I'm making a point of keeping both at full charge, because I never know when one will have power and one won't.

Comparing the Garmin Forerunner 205 (which no longer is being sold?) and the Garmin Forerunner 405, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Garmin Forerunner 205 (The Hammer of Dawn):

+ The display is large enough to see your distance and split times in addition to the overall time.
- It can take a longer time than the Forerunner 405 to find a satellite signal.

Garmin Forerunner 405:

+ Quicker to find satellite signal
+ Uses wireless downloading of workouts to Internet
- Touch bezel can be hard to use
- Split times and distance displays are too small for the watch.

I think I'll try to use the Hammer of Dawn more often because it's such a workhorse. And it's a lot more difficult to accidentally stop the watch during a workout with it than with the 405.

-----------------
Today's run involved me running to the Edgewood Shopping Center to pick up some auto glass cleaner at Target. I always like browsing the store. It wasn't too hard to run back with the bottle of cleaner, although I had to switch hands from time to time.

Time: 9:45 a.m.
Temp: 70 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Champion C9 blue), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/C.

No comments: