Sunday, January 31, 2010

CTS 1,127: Trouble in paradise

KIHEI, Hi. -- Because the trip fell on the marathon training schedule, we decided to get in the long run while in Maui.

On tap: 16 miles. We had the benefit of running at sea level (Atlanta is about 1,000 feet elevation; Kula where my grandparents live is about 3,000 ft. elevation).

I decided to run from the beach area of Kihei to the resort area of Wailea to Makena, mainly because I thought it would be flat and there would be plenty of services.

So we got there early in the morning, parked at a beach park and then ran out 8 miles.

Only thing was in Wailea and Makena, the road was full of rolling hills. And at the turnaround I became incredibly thirsty. Luckily, a vendor van was just setting up shop at one of the Makena beach parking lots, so we were able to buy bottled water.

The way back was fine, and then, right on a hill at about 13.75 miles, I just couldn't continue. I stopped.

I had to stop and go for a little more than the next two miles. Ran a total of 15.93 miles, according to the watch.

It was disappointing but I have to think the preparation and temperature came into play. The weather climbed to about 81 degrees on the tail end of the run. I probably should have carried water.

I still think I can run in the marathon next month. I just have to focus more on preparation. This will not be as easy as I thought it was going to be. It also has made me hesitate to register for October's Chicago Marathon -- I would have to start training in July and August, during Atlanta's hot summer.

Time: 7:45 a.m.
Temp: 65-85 degrees
Gear: SST (AIDS run '09), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D5.

No comments: