Friday, January 8, 2010

CTS 1,104: Mix of snow and ice

Not much snow on the ground today, maybe like a 1/2 inch or so, but plenty of ice. I did a short route today and wore all of the North Face Ultrawick clothes that I bought for the same temperatures (20 degrees) in Chicago.

The gear was pretty nice, I sort of wished I had something to cover the lower part of my face during the start, but I didn't need it near the end of the run.

In Chicago I have some pretty decent Nike snow running shoes -- basically like a light hiking shoe, Gore Tex-lined with some pretty good traction on the bottom.

But here, nothing of the sort. I just wore an older pair of running shoes. Things were ok starting out -- I didn't really run that fast and just tried to avoid ice.

At the turnaround point on Lanier for the Summerfest 5K, I crossed the street and slipped. I put my left hand down involuntarily to break my fall but was lucky to not get injured that way.

I kept on running and at the next turn on the course route, the road was completely ice. So I just went back on Lanier and then finished the run, making a stop at a grocery store.

Time: 11:30 a.m.
Temp: 20 degrees
Gear: Marmot windbreaker, North Face Ultrawick fleece pullover and pants; CFLST, SST, heavy gloves, Nike Air Pegasus/D4.

No comments: