Saturday, January 23, 2010

CTS 1,119: Running -- "I have an app for that"

This morning when I was getting ready with the gf to do our 14-mile training run for the ING Georgia Marathon, I noticed that the Hammer of Dawn was completely dead. I think I must have left it on when I tossed it into my bag last night before we went out.

I had some options -- I could have driven back home and picked up a regular digital watch that I use as a backup for running (that I bought last August in Las Vegas) but I remembered there was an app on my Palm Pre that might do the trick.

It's called JogStats, and it uses your cell phone's GPS to track how far and how fast you have run. You can download a 7-day free version; the permanent one costs $4.99.

So we turned it on and went off along the course. It worked out really well. It tells you how far you have gone in a thumnail without having to log into your phone. When you do log in, it tells you more details, including your pace, altitude and time elapsed.

Of course, the Hammer of Dawn is my primary GPS watch. But it's nice to have backups for times like these, when I forget to properly re-charge it. Additionally, I'm likely to buy the Nike iPod sensor when my free iPod Nano comes in a few months.

The run itself was ok, my knees felt pretty stiff through the first seven miles, then I kind of received a second wind and finished pretty well. I feel fine even afterwards, although I've chowed down on a bunch of food at Manuel's and Park Tavern.

Looking forward to next weekend's 16 mile run ... in Maui.

Time: 11 a.m.
Temp: 44 degrees
Gear: CFLST (Atlanta Half Marathon '09), SST (Las Vegas-blue), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D5.

No comments: