Monday, January 19, 2009

CTS 750: To honor Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today when I set out I wasn't sure where I was headed. I thought about stopping by the grocery store for some groceries, but about a minute into the run I decided I would go and pay my respects at the tomb for Martin Luther King, Jr. and his wife, Coretta Scott King.

This run initialy was confounded by some overweight guy and his dog trying to blaze a trail down North Highland.

Normally I am fine with people running faster than me on the other side of the street but dude seemed to make it a point to be running faster than me.

When he got on my side of the street and turned into the PATH, it was on. It didn't take me much time at all to pass him and I continued on up to the Highland Avenue overpass.

I turned there and then cut through the neighborhoods until I got to the King Center. My legs really felt like they are not used to race pace.

I followed all of the other people who were properly bundled up and paid my respects before the tomb. On the other side of the street, a huge TV screen was letting people hear the sermon inside Ebenezer Baptist Church.

I didn't have much time before I had to go to work and at the time I even lamented that I was closer to work (I could see my office building) than I was at home.

A photographer said: "You're not freezing right now?" I made a running motion and told him I ran there.

I turned up Boulevard and connected back on the PATH at Freedom Parkway. At the time I was wearing my iPod and listened to Young Jeezy songs on the way back. It was the first time in a long time that I ran with it. I don't really like running with it for fear that I can't hear anything but I did it this time because I was on the PATH for most of my run.

Time: 12:30 p.m.
Temp: 42 degrees
Distance: 4.91 miles
Gear: CFLST, SST (Race for Research), shorts, AP/D1.

No comments: