Saturday, February 28, 2009

Peachtree 10K is D-tagging it

Very cool. The Peachtree 10K will be using the D-tag electronic timing system that was used in The Weather Channel Atlanta Half-Marathon.

Here's the Thursday article from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

It also makes a nice souvenir of the event. I have the half-marathon's D-tag in my running scrapbook.

The way it works is it's a bright orange strip that you tuck under your shoelaces and reattach one end of the strip to the other in a "D" shape. It must have some kind of RFID inside it that is tracked when you go through checkpoints.

It's disposable so much less of a headache I guess than when the Atlanta Track Club had to recover all of the old chip timers after a race. (And they did -- one time when I did not run in the race but still had a chip timer, they sent me letters until I returned it).

So wow. Finally a way to have an accurate time for your race. I imagine the Peachtree 10K will become a qualifier of it's own race!

No comments: