Tuesday, February 24, 2009

CTS 785: Snow ... and shorts

WESTERN SPRINGS, Ill. -- After running on Monday in temperatures of the low 20s, today was a treat -- it was 39 degrees, warm enough to wear shorts!

I loved being out in shorts and running on the snow. It's so flat that the mileage was pretty easy. I made my way out to Ogden Ave. thinking I'd cross over and run into Bemis Woods. But the traffic was terrible, making me loop back into the village.

On the way back, I found a foot bridge into Hinsdale over the Tri-State. So I went that way, went by the Hinsdale Hospital, recalling the rolling hills in this area.

I stopped by the Hinsdale Library, reading the first page of Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses, before coming back.

On the way back, I was running on wet ground since there were no sidewalks on my side of the street. I had a nice pace and went left to plant my feet to jog right and ... whoosh, both of my feet kept going left and my side got covered in the wet mud.

Thankfully it was soft ground instead of a concrete sidewalk.

Over the 47th Street bridge back into the village a bunch of high school kids passed me -- they were running about 8 minute miles and too fast for me.

But I was happy with the run, the weather and the snow.

Time: 3:40 p.m.
Temp: 39 degrees
Distance: 6.28 miles
Gear: CFLST (Weather Channel 1/2 marathon), SST (Thrashers Shamrock), shorts, AP/D2.

The previous day it was about 25 degrees out. I wore pretty much everything, including a skull cap underneath my hat and needed it.

No comments: