Tuesday, February 10, 2009

CTS 771: Cornerstone, warm

I am incredibly sore today after running a pair of Celtics-Clippers tickets to work. I could have just brought them to work when I had to come in a few hours later but thought that it would be great to do the Cornerstone run.

I felt really fresh into it and the new shoes did really well. On the way back, at N. Highland and the PATH, this larger woman came booking it from a nearby street onto the PATH in front of me.

It was pretty incredible, actually, because she had a bit of distance on me as I plodded along with a pretty consistent pace. But I also imagined that she was running pretty inefficently on afterburners and couldn't maintain it.

It's one thing that I learned from running in 10-mile races and the 1/2. People invariably pass me but somewhere down the line I will catch up with them, not running any faster than I had been before.

I passed her right after the bridge near the Freedom Parkway fork and at that point had a pretty good clip on the final hill to Freedom Parkway/N. Highland.

She caught up with me while I was resting at the light and when it turned green, she bolted out in front of me. This kind of running is just going to beat you down and make you not want to run anymore.

I just ran at my pace and passed her at the North Avenue intersection. I fell in with a running couple who were running at my pace (about 8:00 or 7:30 at this point) and ran with them until the Ponce light.

But at the light I crossed the street to the other side because I wanted to let them have their own run - but darn - I run at the same pace as they did! They ran on ahead and I didn't worry about it.

I really wanted to run the last two tenths of a mile back to my place pretty fast, mimicking the last part of the 10K. So I did. I'm only paying the price later on tonight at work, lol. Drank two bottles of water after the run.

Time: 4 p.m.
Temp: 66 degrees
Distance: 7.55 miles
Gear: SST (El Paso), shorts, AP/D2.

No comments: