Tuesday, June 16, 2009

CTS 898: 1/2 of the ING Georgia half-marathon course

I guess I don't like to let things go the way they are. I struggled in the last half of March's ING Georgia Half-Marathon so when I woke up pretty early this morning (6:30 a.m.) I knew what route I would do.

I started out in my Virginia-Highland neighborhood, went through Piedmont Park and up 10th Street. The rolling hills on Juniper are brutal but I managed OK. I turned on 5th Street and went through Georgia Tech, which is pretty nice. Then I turned and passed the Bobby Dodd Stadium before heading up North Ave.

When I ran the race I told myself this was a brutal hill. But it wasn't so bad. Neither was the Tech Parkway part that led to Marietta St. On the last mile of the half marathon, I was fortunate to just finish but this time I made it to my office building and drank the entire bottle of Gatorade that I brought.

I used my regular Cornerstone route back home, stopping at the Boulevard CVS for another bottle of Gatorade that I drank half of during the run back.

I felt really fresh the whole way. It's good to get that mental hurdle out of the way, of a last part of the race that almost beat me.

Time: 7:15 a.m.
Temp: 72 degrees
Gear: SST (Nike Peachtree '04), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D3.

No comments: