Wednesday, December 31, 2008

CTS 731: The two-year run

HONOLULU -- Got up early and it wasn't raining up here for a change so I headed out down the hill.

Decided to take a short 3-mile loop -- Nuuanu-School-Liliha-Wyllie-Nuuanu. It was pretty nice out - a few walkers but no runners at all. I took to calling all dogs I saw "poi dogs" whether they were mutts or not.

I've found that during this current streak it's not so much the streak that matters but how active you are in a particular cycle. I've run more miles at times and less.

I like that a spur-of-the-moment 5K run when I was visiting my parents in September led to two more 5Ks, a 10K and a half-marathon. And a few hundred more training miles I wouldn't have run otherwise.

I'm happy to have ended the year being able to reach Hawaii landmarks in perfect running weather.

Who knows what the new year will bring? My immediate goals still include wanting to run a sub 54-minute 10K to qualify for the Peachtree 10K. Long outset goals could include running in the Chicago Marathon in October or the Honolulu Marathon in December with maybe the Las Vegas half-marathon in December.

But we'll see -- there's a lot of miles - and a very hot Atlanta summer - in between now and then.

No comments: