Tuesday, December 30, 2008

CTS 730: To Waikiki Niketown

HONOLULU -- It rains a lot where my grandmother's house is, so I wasn't sure when it would let up to let me run.

It started up raining right before I was going to go outside so instead I took a ride with my folks down Nuuanu to the shopping center where the Hungry Lion restaurant is.

But then it wasn't raining anymore. So I decided I would first go over to Long's Drugs at Vineyard and Pali Highway to get a poncho.

I did that and then decided I would continue on yesterday's quest to go to the Niketown in Waikiki. We saw it while driving to the wedding on Sunday. Monday I started out to go there but didn't have any gas in my legs and cut the run short.

But today it was fine. The directions were okay although there were some spots on Magellan that seemed a little seedy and didn't always have sidewalks.

I got down there in just under about 3.5 miles. It was pretty neat- there were Niketown Hawaii T-shirts and even finisher LSTs of the Honolulu Marathon. I looked around but decided not to get anything.

Coming back was a lot easier than getting there, since I knew where everything was. One thing that seemed neat about training in Honolulu is the close proximity of things -- I think you could plot a course where you'd always be near restrooms, water or food.

I came back and then went up School Street for a few blocks to my uncle's parents' shave ice store. The large shave ice is so big -- as big as a human head -- I walked about a quarter way up Nuuanu before I finished it!

Anyway, it made for a good reward to a pretty nice run.

Time: noon
Temp: ??
Gear: SST (MGM Grand), shorts, AP/D1.

No comments: