Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Stone Mountain or bust, part 2 (Avondale Stn. to Farmers Market)

DECATUR, Ga. -- I decided to continue running on the Atlanta-Stone Mountain PATH with the intention of making Clarkston.

But I started out too late in the day and I drove around a while trying to find a place to park near Avondale Station. Possibly because of the station's proximity, all of the streets around it are marked with residents only parking signs.

So I went all the way back to the parking spaces on Howard near Carpe Diem.

The trail loops to follow the MARTA tracks and you go by abandoned houses. The isolated nature of this part of the trail made me not want to attempt to have to return when the sun was going down so I tried to connect with East Ponce de Leon and go to the Farmer's Market.

I got as far as North Clarendon and East Ponce and then doubled back on the side of the street about a half mile before I found the Farmer's Market.

For the last two legs of the Stone Mountain run, I'll probably park in Clarkston and make my way back to North Clarendon and then on another trip make my way to Stone Mountain.

Time: 3:30 p.m.
Temp: 57 degrees
Gear: LST (Ted's), shorts, AP/D1.

No comments: