Saturday, January 17, 2015

Day 2,939: A perpetual state of training

As I ran down the hill to my house, I could hear drums in the distance. I remembered today was the MLK Day 5K Drum Run, a race that I ran in last year.

That 2014 race was also my first "workout" for what became 11 months of running training for a half marathon and two marathons that I am still burnt out of . 2014 was like being in a perpetual state of training.

I ran 7 miles this morning mainly to round out 30 miles for the week and to pin a tail on my aging Saucony Kinvara 5s (they now have 497 miles on them). During my training, 8 mile runs were the daily norm if I wasn't doing strength or speed intervals, tempo runs or the long run.

Although I haven't been too much of a stickler for weekly miles, 30 miles in a week is significant for me when I'm not in the middle of training. It took me 16 months to run that much between August 2012 and December 2013. If I had my choice, I would try to put up 40 miles in a week since it was a natural springboard to a high intensity training program like last year.

Even though it was 29 degrees out, there still were a lot of people out running when I turned on North Highland Avenue. In the middle of the Summerfest 5K course, I saw a couple of jugs of water and a sign that said "Chattahoochee Road Runners" -- I guess someone was doing a long run.

I followed my "Zion Park rules" and doubled up on technical T-shirts but still brought out my 20-year-old Nike windbreaker for the start of the run. Halfway through, though, the blue jacket was around my waist for the rest of the run.

Wore my ultra-comfortable Brooks Spartan III running pants but also halfway through was wishing I'd just worn shorts, so something to think about even when the mercury gets that low.


No comments: