Sunday, January 18, 2015

Day 2,940: Running with the flu

Today I had grand plans for myself. I was going to do a speed work session, starting with the 12 x 400 (400 recovery) and then climbing the ladder each Sunday.

Yet late last night it was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get there. I could barely breathe and my coughing was terrible. I didn't get to sleep until 3 a.m. and when I woke up, I felt terrible.

Normally I would have run just 1 mile and that would be that. But ... my Saucony Kinvara 5s had 497 miles on them and if I could manage three more miles in them I could retire them!

So off I went into Piedmont Park feeling fluish. Early in the run I wasn't sure if I could continue because of gastrointestinal issues but I plodded on and it turned out fine.

I felt hot and cold wearing a long-sleeved technical T-shirt under my cotton 2010 Virginia-Highland Summerfest 5K shirt. It felt like I had a horrible form of hay fever.

But I did it -- and now these great shoes that carried me through marathon training can go to Big Peach Running for donation!

1 comment:

Frank McDonald said...

So sorry to hear about the flu. I can't imagine running under those conditions but I understand the need to keep up the streak. Just make sure that you maintain the most important streak of consecutive days breathing!