Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Day 2,936: A stone's throw from 11K

Just on a lark this evening I decided to see where I'm at with my consecutive day streak that dates back to Jan. 1, 2007.

So far I've run 10,969.71 miles, meaning sometime this month I likely will cross 11,000 miles. The 3,000 consecutive day mark looms around the time of the Publix Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon in March.

It's kind of weird to just run day in and day out, but it's easier for me to just do it than to stop and try to start running again.

This year I've added some basic exercises like sit-ups and push-ups to my routine. I'm pretty interested in getting a kettlebell after reading this article in Runner's World.

A month has gone by since the Dec. 14 Honolulu Marathon and while physically I feel like my running strength is back, mentally I know that it will be a while before I'm interested in doing any kind of racing.

There's all kinds of reasons. I think the main thing is that the race would have to be novel for me -- like a 10-miler or a half marathon in another city. (I did enter the sweepstakes for a free entry into the New York City marathon but didn't get in).

Other than that I'm content with not spending money and not getting another race T-shirt (this is the first year I'm paring through race shirts for donation, especially technical T-shirts that used to be hard to come by). My dresser is overflowing with race shirts.

But I like the idea of keeping my mileage up, keeping my speed up and then being healthy and ready for the next time I want to don a bib and crawl out to a starting line.

No comments: