Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 2,576: A solid "B" (MLK Day 5K Drum Run)


I had this race in my sight for a while with its home field location of Piedmont Park (not a mile from where I live), the place where I made my 5K PR, not more than a month after I ran in my third marathon.

I had high hopes that this race would give me a time under the 23 minute cut off for Group A of the Peachtree 10K road race. Yet the last time I ran a sub-23 time was that same race in which I made my personal best time.

Instead it turned out that this fun race gave me a time solidly in Group B of the Peachtree's time standards. Basically I ran the first two miles in under 15 minutes, giving me a chance to close out the race with the sub-23 time but after that, I could feel myself need to slow up.

Near the end of the race when I saw my watch pass 23:01, I started to ease up since I knew that at that point this would not be the race in which I qualified for Group A. It felt like I had gone slower than 8:10/mile but I was surprised to see that my third mile was in 7:52.

It still is my best 5K race time in nearly three years and gives me a pretty solid place to stand as I start up on my half marathon and marathon training for this year.

The race course was extremely fun -- you start off in a mad dash across the meadow of the park, then run on the paths out to the newer section of the park and then down by the dog park before coming back on the paths to the park's gravel track. There you run about half of it and then are back on the paths around the pond before a quick downhill on the grassy meadow to the finish.

Near the crest of all of the hills on the course they have drum lines playing and it was really awesome to have in this short of a race.

I'll definitely run in this race again in the future!

Time: 9:05 a.m.
Temp: 37 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long (Locomotive Half Marathon, Nike black), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30.




No comments: