Sunday, January 26, 2014

Day 2,582: 10-mile run

For the past week I've been working on the half-marathon version of the training program that I will use for the Dec. 14 Honolulu Marathon. I've liked the philosophy, especially because the writing style is much like Ed Miller's books on poker.

Today was the first time I've run 10 miles for training (non-race) since Aug. 26, 2011, when I inexplicably belted out 14.1 miles. I even ran 14.56 miles the week before on Aug. 19, 2011. (There are no blog entries for either of those runs so I don't know why I decided to do it other than likely for some whim).

For today's route I followed the Publix Georgia Half Marathon route from Park Place into Piedmont Park and then up the rolling hills of Juniper to 5th Street and Georgia Tech. Then the course enters Marietta Street into downtown.

Because it is both hilly and scenic it is one of the best training courses in Atlanta.

I felt ok during the run, although at mile 3.5 near Bobby Dodd Stadium I felt a tinge in my right hamstring that went away. At mile 8.5 I actually felt pretty loose and willing to run the rest of the way.

Afterward I felt drained like I ran in a road race. We will see how this training goes, next week it's a 12-mile long run.

Time: 9 a.m.
Temp: 32 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long x2 (Atlanta Beltline, Atlanta Half Marathon 2009), Nike windbreaker, shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30.

No comments: