Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Day 2,577: Breaking out the new shoes!

Because it had been raining so much the last two months, I'd been relying on my previous pair of running shoes, (Nike Air Pegasus+ 29/A), in those waterlogged workouts.

That's because it always takes a few days for wet shoes to properly dry and I don't like subjecting my current shoes to the rain.

But those older shoes always reminded me of why I replaced them in the first place -- the cushioning had worn down and I could always feel it in one of my knees when I ran. So I am planning to donate those shoes.

I still need a second pair of shoes to run in during bad conditions and with my current pair having more than 278 miles on them already, it was time to start thinking about the next pair.

So last week I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and picked up a brand new pair, thanks to a very nice gift card the in-laws gave me for my birthday. I even used a 10 percent coupon from one of the recent race goody bags to boot!

Because I knew that I'd do a very easy run today after yesterday's 5K race, I broke out the new shoes to start breaking them in. It took 40 miles for my current pair to be broken in and after I wore them in the Atlanta 10-miler, I could hardly walk home because my feet were so sore.

Time: 9:20 a.m.
Temp: 46 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long (Atlanta Half Marathon 2011), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30/A.

No comments: