Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day 2,585: 11 degrees and snow!

Only a few hours after my post yesterday it started snowing. Given that I wore shorts during my 10-mile run a few days ago it never would have dawned on me we would have snow that would stick a few days later.

Today was to be a rest day on the schedule but because of the streak I'd already penciled it in for a 1-mile run. With all of the snow/ice on the ground this morning, the most I could have done anyway was a 1-mile run!

I also couldn't believe the temperature when I saw it -- 11.6 degrees! That definitely is the coldest it's been during the history of this blog.

So I threw on my heavy hoodie under my windbreaker (and over my two technical shirts), got my hat and gloves and went out.

It wasn't too bad running although I tried to avoid the icy footprints of people who'd walked on the sidewalk before me. I kept my fists balled tight since I didn't want to slip and throw my hand out if I fell. Still, I had a lot of confidence in my trail shoes (Note: regular running shoes can be extremely slick and I wouldn't recommend them for running in these conditions).

There were a few people out walking, or walking their dog. One car made it over the hill at North Highland near the post office.

Tomorrow I am to do a 6-mile run but with a projected high today of only a degree above freezing I doubt I will be able to.

Time: 8:03 a.m.
Temp: 11.6 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long x2 (Locomotive Half Marathon, Fall 5-Miler), Old Navy hoodie, Nike windbreaker, running pants, hat, gloves, Salomon trail shoes.

No comments: