Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 2,559: 21 degrees!

DECATUR, Ga. -- The one thing about having a running streak is you have to run every day, no matter what.

Today was one of those days it would have been nicer to stay inside. It was 21 degrees out and already I was thinking about not running very far.

So I decided to skip my regular running routes and took the jogging stroller out on the PATH trail.

But first I had to get into my car. The button on the door handle that unlocks the car was frozen shut. So I had to dig into my pocket for the key fob. Then the doors were frozen shut. I had to try a couple times before they would open.

Forget about the windows. Three of them wouldn't even open until later in the drive when the sun was out.

We got to the trail and it seemed no different than other days. The Thanksgiving Half Marathon was 23 degrees, one of the coldest races I've run in a while. It was 20 degrees in February 2011 when I ran around Dallas. I ran in the snow a month earlier in January 2011 but it was a little warmer in Atlanta -- 27 degrees.

Our 2010 trip to Zion National Park changed the way I dress for cold weather. Because I packed light, I didn't have a lot of heavy fleece clothes. Instead I doubled up on technical shirts and covered that with a windbreaker shell.

Today I did that and I wore my running hat for part of the time and gloves some of the time. The tip of my right middle finger felt numb.

At the same time, the run was nice. I think the previous cold spell helped me get used to today's weather.

And it's supposed to get colder, with a low of 9 degrees on Monday. You can bet I'll be writing about that day, if nothing else so I can remember what kind of running gear is needed the next time it gets that cold.

Time: 10:56 a.m.
Temp: 21 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long (Atlanta Half Marathon, Eastside Beltline 10K 2012), Nike windbreaker, Outdoor Research cap, fleece gloves, fleece pants, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30.





No comments: