Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 2,584: My first intervals (6 x 1 mile)

Today on the half-marathon training schedule was a set of strength intervals. Since I had never done any before, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Basically the schedule said I should do six 1-mile intervals, with about a quarter-mile rest in between. The pace of these intervals was to be about 10 seconds per mile faster than my goal pace for the half-marathon.

Luckily, my Forerunner 610 allows me to program what kind of workout I want, down to my warm up and cool down run.

So I did that and headed down to Piedmont Park. Only it was one of the coldest days of the year again (21 to 25 degrees). I The actually had to do my second interval back to my house to pick up a hat and gloves, it was that cold!

The park was a great place to do the intervals since it is basically flat and easy to get around. I followed what is to be the course for the St. Patrick's Day 5K race in March.

I loved the watch's workout program, it basically beeps when your desired interval is up and then you push "lap" and then it sends you to the rest portion of the run. I didn't like that it only showed me the time that had elapsed for that part of the workout instead of my pace.

I really struggled with my pace, as only my sixth mile got me down to what I would consider my half-marathon pace. But I guess I should chalk everything up to the weather conditions plus the fact that it's my first kind of interval training ever.

It was pretty enjoyable though. Running between two sections of the park kept it from being too monotonous. The breaks helped disguise what ultimately became an 8.51-mile run.

Time: 7:50 a.m.
Temp: 21 degrees to 25 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long x2 (William's Run, 2013 Atlanta Half Marathon), Nike windbreaker, running pants, gloves, hat, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30.

No comments: