Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 2,586: Yaktrak Pro review

A few years ago there was snow and ice in Atlanta and I found out the hard way how slick my favorite running shoes -- the Nike Air Pegasus series -- were.

Enter 2014's Atlanta snowpocalypse and already I was wondering how I would stick to my half-marathon training schedule.

Today I decided to pull out my Yaktrax Pro. I bought these more than three years ago, about the last time the city had an ice storm.

Already some of the sidewalks in the neighborhood had melted but there still were icy and snowy patches. So I decided to follow my schedule, embarking on a 6-mile tempo run. I brought a fanny pack in case everything on the route was dry and that way I could just put them away.

It turned out that I did need them on the snowy patches and that the PATH trail had large sections that were still snowy and icy.

Each patch of snow/ice I decided to really test out these devices and ran hard through them. They worked like a charm. Virtually no worries but I did note that on very short/steep inclines there was a slight slip, but nothing that put me onto the pavement.

It wasn't bad either running with them on dry pavement. You probably wouldn't want to wear these every day but these are well worth the $29.95 I spent on them in 2011.

Time: 2:43 p.m.
Temp: 36 degrees
Gear: T-shirt, long (Kevin's Cup), Nike windbreaker, shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30, Yaktrax Pro.

No comments: