Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 2,636: My Garmin Forerunner 610 went bonkers

Today was a simple 6-mile tempo run, the last workout before Sunday's Publix Georgia Half Marathon.

It all seemed like things were ok -- not a cloud in the sky to confound the satellites, not much waiting as my Garmin Forerunner 610 gave me the chirp that it was ready right away.

So away we went, down towards the Piedmont Commons portion of Piedmont Park. After I finished my 1-mile warm-up, I noticed something funny -- I was getting faster and faster, according to my watch.

Even though I was pushing a kid in a stroller -- 50 pounds extra weight -- I was picking up the speed, down to 7:38/mile pace. Yet I was hardly moving because I was glued to my watch in disbelief.

So I stopped the watch, reset a new workout and started off again. This time it said I was going slower and slower, at a 17 minute/mile pace.

So I tried to reboot the watch. How was that again? Push all three buttons? Two buttons? It turned out all I needed to do was push one button, the "Power" button.

But when it rebooted, all that would appear was the Garmin screen and nothing else.

So my 8-mile workout ended up being a 1-mile run plus a bunch of walking. I tried to use my backup, the Endomondo app on my smartphone, but it also did not record my distance as I ran. What was going on here?

I got home and looked online. I finally found a way to get my watch to work again -- I had to do a complete reboot, which erased all of my previous data.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to run like nothing happened.

Time: 9:40 a.m.
Temp: 49 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long (Chicago Marathon in training), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30/A.

No comments: