Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 2,627: Hottest day of the year (so far)

Today I had to wait for workers to finish putting the final touches on our newly painted house (!) before I could start running.

By then, it was late in the afternoon and already 73 degrees, easily the hottest day that I've run in this year. Obviously it will get even hotter but I decided to go through with my 4 x 1.5-mile strength training run anyway.

Today I didn't spare any hills, particularly the ones going up Johnson Road toward Briarcliff and Rock Springs. I also cut down Lanier to do the Summerfest 5K route before joining the PATH trail and then the Eastside Beltline.

I planned ahead and put two bottles of water in the stroller and by the time I was on the 1/2-mile recovery segment after my fourth 1.5-mile interval, I really needed one of them. I was pretty spent after having run 9.2 miles in the heat but it really felt wonderful to have done it.

Today was the last strength training interval run that I'll have before the upcoming half marathon. It's kind of weird to have spent weeks in such a mile-heavy and strenuous schedule only to have it go away as the race nears.

-------------------

I was looking at my race time for last month's Charles Harris 10K and noticed there were only 588 finishers. In previous years there were twice that. I'm wondering why that was. It's interesting to see the ebb and flow of races sometimes.

Time: 4:42 p.m.
Temp: 73 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (Southwest Beltline 5K), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 30/A.

No comments: