Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 1,288: Back on the Silver Comet

DALLAS, Ga. -- It's been 14 months since I last ran on the Silver Comet but today I woke up late and knew I should try to get in a quality run in.

I decided I would go to the Paulding Chamber of Commerce trailhead, even though I had never been there before. I tried to use my Sprint GPS navigation on my cell phone but ultimately the reception out there was too shoddy to use.

The Hiram trailhead is pretty easy to find. You just drive down the highway until you see the Home Depot in Hiram and then just turn down Depot Drive. It's maybe less than a mile down that drive, through a 4-way stop.

I continued on the highway and saw a sign that indicated that you should do a U-turn for the Silver Comet parking. Once I did that, I saw another sign telling me to turn right. The sign for the Paulding County Health Department is easily seen at the turn.

I parked and then got out my new 100-oz. Camelbak and went on my way, taking pictures. My goal was to go to the Pumpkinvine Creek Trestle, about 3.5 miles away, cross it, then turn around and possibly link up with the trail in between Milepost 16 and the Paulding trailhead that I hadn't run yet.



About a mile out from the Paulding trailhead is the Tara Drummond Trailhead, which contains water fountains, parking and restrooms.

I continued on and about a mile from the trestle is the Rambo Trailhead, which I believe has the same kinds of things.

I started drinking from my CamelBak about 2 miles in and about every half mile or so.



Once I crossed the creek on the trestle, I turned around and headed back. I felt okay but near the end of my run I felt like it was too hot for me to do the last loop. I was fine for the long run that I'd done for the day.

This segment was really beautiful and there were lots of bikers along the path.

Time: 2 p.m.
Temp: 93 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Cherry Blossom 10-Miler), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/B.

No comments: