Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 1,278: The next 100 days

Today I noticed on the Bank of America Chicago Marathon's website that the race is a little more than 100 days away.

Unlike in January when I decided I would run in the ING Georgia Marathon, Chicago seems so far away.

I feel like my conditioning is just as good as then, if not better. I think the main thing is that I won't know until race day whether I've truly prepared for the race and who knows what wrinkle will be created, like getting leg cramps at Mile 15.

Despite this, I feel like my focus is pretty good. All of my training now has the race in mind. I'm still planning on running several races in between now and then, including Sunday's Peachtree 10K, the July 31 Rock'n'Roll Chicago Half Marathon and possibly the Sept. 6 US 10K Classic.

But I won't be specifically training for them, although each race likely will help my overall conditioning and mindset for the marathon.

So who knows? Who knows if I'll be able to do long runs in Atlanta's very high heat. But I will give myself every chance to cross the finish line -- in 100 days.

No comments: