Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 1,281: A Peachtree 10K "A" lister

On my sixth running of the Peachtree 10K, I had a nice thought in mind -- to qualify for next year's Time Group A.

That meant running the race in less than 50 minutes. Last year was my best time and I did it in 53 minutes. That was good enough for Time Group B. (A few months later during the November 2009 Strong Legs 10K, I qualified for Time Group A).

The things I had going for me was 1). The weather. It was about 67 degrees at the 7:30 a.m. race start.

I also had my speedy running partner. We started out and although we were running at a really good clip, it felt like a training run. We kept a fast pace through the first three miles of the course and my time during mile 4, up Cardiac Hill was 7:48, which was faster than last year's best time at that mile, 8:00.

In all five past years, I paid the price for Mile 4 by losing time on Mile 5, the second set of double hills. Last year I only lost 32 seconds in the mile. This year I lost only 4 seconds, running it in 7:52.

Each split time this year was faster than I've ever run a split in the Peachtree. My fiancee got about 3 seconds ahead of me in the last mile of the race, but I caught up with her right at the very end and we crossed the finish line together at 48:14.

I was super happy at the finish, knowing that I accomplished my goal. I have to wonder that with another race I might break my 10K PR, perhaps at the February Charles Harris 10K.

After the race, they had lots of great things for the first time -- including Georgia Peaches and Blue Bell ice cream. I was a little bummed though that this was the first time they didn't give out Diet Cokes at the end. It was always a nice feeling to know you'd be doing a hard race and would be greeted with some liquid sunshine at the end.

Time: 7:30 a.m.
Temp: 67-71 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Patagonia red), Mizuno (red stripe) shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/B.

No comments: