Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 1,204: Dow Live Earth Run for Water 6K

Back in 2004 when they used to have the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Run for Children 5K, I remember the huge double hill that runs along Centennial Olympic Park.

Today's Dow Live Earth Run for Water 6K would run on part of that course, so I tried to be mentally prepared for it.

You start right off the park on Marietta and Baker. It runs backward along the last mile of the ING Georgia Marathon/Half Marathon course but doesn't turn on Means. Instead it runs a little past Burger Joe's to Northside before coming back along Techwood Parkway.

I had an extremely slow start being caught behind walkers, but for some reason I felt myself accelerating almost from the beginning. I caught up with a good crowd but dropped a lot of people in the two hills prior to the large main hill along the park.

Today, just like at the end of last Sunday's Cherry Blossom Ten Miler I decided that if I had the energy left, I would provide no quarter. I outkicked this woman who passed me near the last turn and then settled in behind a guy I was about 10 seconds behind for most of the race.

Seeing as how he wasn't moving very fast, I passed him too right before the finish.

Time: 8:45 a.m.
Temp: 62 degrees
Gear: SST (Summerfest '09), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/B.

No comments: