Monday, July 27, 2009

CTS 939: Tour de Doc Chey

This morning I had planned to get up and run to Decatur's Big Peach Running Co. to sign up early for the Big Peach Sizzler 10K in September.

But my right leg felt a little taut from yesterday's run so I decided to just drive there. I was also still sleepy because of staying up late the night before.

I took a nap when I got back and was ready to run. I had some errands to do, so I headed out on North Highland, first to the post office and then to Doc Chey's for lunch.

I was going to cut back down Lanier and head over toward Reynoldstown for my usual 5-mile loop. But I decided to continue down North Highland and do the Emory loop.

I had done this loop once before last fall before The Weather Channel Atlanta Half-Marathon and still remembered the beyond-category hill from Briarcliff Way to Clifton Way on Clifton.

I knew I was in a lot better shape, so I thought why not try it?

The hill wasn't too bad, it was just sick in principle. Think of the biggest hill you know, then at the top have it break left around a curve. Once you round the curve it just goes straight up for a second hill to the top!

I ran it ok, huffing and puffing but knowing I tackled it much better than last fall. I came around Clifton to North Decatur and then made my way to Springdale where I have my usual route back home.

As far as challenges go, it was a nice one. I'm happy to have done it -- but I don't have to do it again for quite a while!

Time: 3 p.m.
Temp: 88.5 degrees
Gear: CFSST (ING half blue), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D3.
Drink: none carried.

No comments: