Tuesday, July 21, 2009

CTS 933: Introducing the CFSSTs

For the last few years races have been giving out wicking shirts for race shirts in both long sleeves (designated CFLST) and short sleeves (CFSST).

And for the last few years I've been putting the short sleeve shirts by the wayside because my belly always made wearing them look somewhat ridiculous.

But last night, on a lark, I brought them out of the drawer and tried them on - and they didn't seem so bad.

I saw a few advantages to wearing them instead of the short sleeved cotton shirts I normally wear -- they wouldn't get so clingy and heavy when drenched with sweat and they dry easily.

So today I tried one on, going up the Col du Cat spire, one of my hardest runs because it involves no less than five climbs in a circular spire that goes from Monroe and Piedmont all the way up to North Highland.

The shirt felt pretty good- it was light the entire way - I did get sweaty but it didn't seem to be that big of a deal. I could still use it to wipe sweat off my brow.

I do wonder whether the shirt, being plastic, makes you feel warmer than just wearing a cotton shirt. I also endured a little chafing on my left side of my chest.

But all in all, they are a great idea to wear and I'll likely be putting them into the rotation from now on.

Time: noon
Temp: 80 degrees
Gear: CFSST ('09 ING 1/2), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus/D3.

No comments: