Monday, February 9, 2015

Day 2,962: Getting some "grit"


As a runner, I'm a true fan of good gear. But this stuff is usually never very cheap. There's a true opportunity cost to the running stuff you buy -- you can go with the stuff you have and enter increasingly expensive races or you can pick up new gear along the way.

And the wrong clothing choices can be equally tragic -- I still have about a half-dozen running windbreakers that aren't very waterproof from my days living in the Portland area where staying dry on the run was pretty important.

One thing that I like for running is pockets on shorts. For whatever reason, Nike didn't seem to make pockets with shorts anymore and most of my running shorts are Nike and don't have pockets.

About a year ago, I lost two of my best running shorts -- a New Balance pair and a pair of Mizuno shorts that were part of the ING Georgia Marathon collection -- when my luggage was stolen at the Atlanta airport after a flight from Rochester, N.Y.

The other day I finally saw a pair of shorts that seemed to meet my needs -- the Brooks 5.5-inch Grit short.

Even better, the shorts were on sale from $50 to $25. And better than that, they had the "M" size that I typically wear (on the Brooks site, they don't even have M sizes left in the shorts that they feature).

So I took a chance and they arrived today. I wore them during a short run in which we got rained on. But anyway, I loved having front pockets on my shorts (very helpful when you are out of town and need to carry a hotel card key). They also have a zippered back pocket.

They were so great that I just tried to go back to the Brooks website to buy some more -- but no surprise here, the vaunted "M" men's size is all sold out.

No comments: