Friday, February 6, 2015

Day 2,959: Like Fighter Weapons School for runners

It took me three weeks to do this workout, one of my first tests on the road to last year's Marine Corps Marathon.

This time around, I wanted to find out where I was at via the 12 by 400 (with a 1/4-mile recovery) intervals.

Doing intervals last year had a fighter aircraft feel to it. I'd jog down to Piedmont Park for a warmup mile and then would turn on the afterburners for the required distance, jog the required distance and repeat until I had to trot back home for a final mile.

I always thought the speed workouts as prescribed by the Hanson Marathon Method would be incredibly beneficial for shorter races.

I felt sluggish going into my first interval, but near the end I really felt like I was getting the hang of it. I could have done 14, 16, or more of them. When I was running fast, I was not breathing hard. It made me wonder just how fast I could do it.

When I got home, I felt like there was validation that my speed was still there. Here are my quarter-mile splits in a pace per mile format:

Mile 1: 7:45, 7:24, 7:25, 7:11
Mile 2: 6:57, 7:11, 7:15, 6:36
Mile 3: 6:58, 7:20, 7:31, 7:41

Although I'd heard about speed work in my nearly three decades of running, I really never was motivated to do it until it was prescribed for marathon training. It makes sense that if you're trying to accomplish a certain time in a race that you practice that pace until it's old hat on race day.

Time: 3:44 p.m.
Temp: 52 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt short (Doug Kessler 10K), shorts, Skechers Go Run 2.

No comments: