Friday, October 24, 2014

Day 2,861: The Marine Corps Marathon expo

WASHINGTON -- I feel like I've been training for an entire year and it's really surreal that race day is almost here.

Today I drove up from the Richmond area and luckily was able to check into my hotel early. So that gave me plenty of time to get to and through the expo. Seven hours is enough time, right?

The expo gave me pause because I've experienced two expos in Washington, both for the Cherry Blossom Ten-Miler. Those expos involved round-the-block lines to get in and although those lines were relatively quick moving, I wasn't sure what to expect for this race. I remember some online reviews talking about how slow previous expos were and how much walking you had to do.

I'd originally planned on getting into town on Friday (today) and then going to the expo the next day. But it actually was better for me to go during the middle of a weekday. There really weren't any lines and I quickly made my way through, getting my race bib and then later, my T-shirt.

The bib came with a race program, patch and a Chipotle buy one, get-one coupon. Everything was pretty efficient. I wandered through the expo and stopped to get a marathon shirt from Brooks (I think they have made some of my favorite race gear).

And then I was out and made my way back to the Metro. I thought about running back (had a 6-mile run on schedule today) but just decided to drop everything off at the hotel and change into running gear.

No comments: