Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day 2,839: A bad workout

Although the marathon training schedule has gone like clockwork every now and then there's a workout that doesn't really pan out.

I got a late start to my run, it was to be my first 10-mile tempo run (12 miles total). When I left the sun was out but it was still a fairly cool 66 degrees.

But later on, it got warmer. I felt like I needed water about halfway through the run on the Beltline. I drank a bunch when I got into Piedmont Commons but by the time I exited the bowl, I knew I was done for the day. Later I saw the temperature climbed to 75 degrees.

I'd only done 7 miles of the 10-mile workout. I had something similar happen to me on Sept. 16, when I was to do three 2-mile strength intervals with a half-mile recovery in between. I did two of them and was done for the day. 

Luckily in that case I was able to bounce back the rest of the week. 

To make matters worse in today's run I discovered as I was entering the shower a dreaded bloody nipple.

Time: 9:31 a.m.
Temp: 66 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, short (2014 Charles Harris 10K), shorts, Saucony Kinvara 5.

No comments: