Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 2,842: 16-mile run

Today was the last of three 16-milers for my training for the Marine Corps Marathon. After having a bad tempo workout just three days prior, I wasn't sure how this one would be.

And so I procrastinated but when I finally got out the door it was a lovely 40 degrees (my Garmin data says 46 degrees).

Even though it was cool out I decided to wear the Camelbak pack and then also go with a GU gel pack every two miles, similar to what I did two weeks ago.

This time, however, I wanted to let myself ease into the 9:30/mile pace that was prescribed for this workout.

While I didn't hit that pace until mile 5, the run was fabulous. I got faster throughout the run and it didn't seem like such a hassle to me. I drank about three sips every two miles after consuming a GU gel (compare that to 6 sips every two miles and even more in miles 14 and 15 two weeks ago at temperatures above 70 degrees).

My last two gels came a little bit late in the sequence, #6 at 12.6 miles and the last one after 14.8 miles.

When I got home I still felt like I had a lot of energy left. I checked the temperature and it had only gotten up to 57 degrees. If the temperature is like this on race day, I think I will definitely have a good outing.

Time: 8:55 a.m.
Temp: 46 degrees
Gear: Technical T-shirt, long (Nike Climafit), T-shirt (Race for Research), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus 31.

No comments: