Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 2,843: It pays to be curious

I was going through my news feeds on Facebook when I saw a post of the race-related wear for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

I'm not running in it this year of course, but I clicked on nike.com/chicagomarathon and looked at what they had to offer. In years past I've drooled over the cool race shirts related to my hometown and decided some window shopping was in order.

It turned out that they also sold Nike shoes, too -- and at a pretty nice discount. The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31s that I likely will be wearing in the Oct. 26 Marine Corps Marathon were discounted to $79.97 from $100.

That got me thinking. I just earned 1,750 points on mcr.com -- enough to cash it in for a $25 Nike e-gift card. So I quickly did that and submitted my order.

The total was $61.37 (including $6.40 tax) and it comes with free shipping, making these shoes available at about a 46 percent discount! That makes these shoes among the cheapest that I've purchased for current season running shoes.

I'm not completely sure I will run in the Dec. 14 Honolulu Marathon but if I do, I will probably need some new kicks sometime soon.

In recent weeks I've been shopping around for some new shoes, since my current pair of 31s have 320 miles on them and my other trainers, such as the Saucony Kinvara 5 and the Skechers Go Run 2, have 272 and 206 miles on them respectively.

And through the Oct. 26 marathon, I am projected to run 177.45 more miles!

No comments: