Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 1,335: 20 mile run

This was the first time that I've run more than a single 20-mile run for marathon training.

I'd sort of dreaded doing so because I thought my motivation would be pretty low to do this and I wouldn't reach my goal.

But it was much cooler (71 degrees/84 percent humidity) than previous long runs, so it really helped. Plus I did the long run six days after the last one, as opposed to every five days.

I found the cooler temperatures led to drinking my Gatorade mix a little later than normal, near the 75/85 overpass on 5th Street.

I checked into my office building right after 8 miles. I ate a GU gel and drank a lot less water than I previously have.

Then I went and did the Piedmont Avenue loop before returning back along the course.

Near the HIGH Museum, I ate a second GU pack and it carried me through the next five miles or so.

I refilled my bottle at Atlantic Station again and then continued back along 10th Street.

This time, I cut inside Piedmont Park and went along the new path along the dog park. They have a nice water/restroom facility. The path doesn't yet connect to Monroe Avenue.

So I looped back and did another half circle in the park before returning for 20.08 miles. My 18 mile time was a few minutes faster than my best 18-mile training run time on Aug. 16. I also finished the 20 miles about five minutes faster than my last run of that distance six days ago.

Time: 6:10 a.m.
Temp: 71 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Cherry Blossom, Champion C9 red), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/C.

No comments: