Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 1,324: 18 miles

Today I felt like it was pretty nice just to sleep in. But I got myself up and out at pretty much the same time the last three starts.

It seemed to be a little brighter out and breezy, although really humid. I had my first bit of Gatorade from the lumbar bottle on 5th Street, about 5 miles in.

Really soaked when I reached my office building at 8.1 miles. Swapped shirts, drank the rest of the Gatorade and some water, filling up my bottle and I was off.

I drank some of the water after 10 miles and ate a bag of watermelon Sport Beans at Peachtree and 10th Street, about 11.2 miles. I was a little low on water at this point but it didn't bother me too much.

At 13.4 miles, I had already passed the Atlantic Station turnaround and made the Publix there. I drank a bunch of water (really dehydrated) and even though I was really soaked, I decided not to swap out my shirt.

I carried on. This time I went back home for a full loop at 16 miles and then took Park Place into Piedmont Park, turning around past the swimming area for mile 17 and back.

I've usually had some kind of doubt whether I could finish between 10 and 14 miles but by the time I reach 10th Street again it's pretty much all gravy. I sort of wonder if I should have done 18 miles so soon but for me it's a substantial psychological barrier so I decided to go for it since the weather wasn't terribly brutal.

Time: 6:12 a.m.
Temp: 77 degrees (90 percent humidity)
Gear: CFSST (Cherry Blossom run, Champion C9 red), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/C.

No comments: