Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 1,329: 20 miles

For today's run I had to get myself out the door quickly if I wanted to match the same start time as my other three starts.

Pretty misty out, a slight break on the weather, 75 degrees, but with 94 percent humidity. My right foot gave me a little bit of pain the first two miles but disappeared completely.

Today the strategy was the same -- do the 4-mile loop in Atlantic Station, then head downtown. This time, though, I added about 1.3 miles by continuing down Marietta to Piedmont Avenue, as along the start of the ING course, looping back to my building.

I think this was extremely helpful as it meant I only had to do about a 2-mile loop in Piedmont Park at the very end when I was the most tired.

I drank my Gatorade mix the same place again, after mile 5 on 5th Avenue and the rest of it pretty much right before my building at 8 miles.

Once I did the Piedmont loop and came back to my office, I drank about two bottles of water and ate a GU gel.

It really gave me a nice pick-me-up at about 12 miles when I was coming through Georgia Tech (a lot of kids moving in) and up to Peachtree. In fact, I had really nice acceleration here!

At 10th Street again I ate two bags of Sport Beans, they tasted really good and then stopped into the Atlantic Station Publix just after 14 miles to refill on water. Was really dehydrated here.

Interestingly enough, I carried that full lumbar bottle the next six miles without even using it. I think it had something to do with the overcast weather.

In Piedmont Park at about mile 18 I felt pretty tired but I continued with my loop. On the way back on Park Place, I just told myself it was just another run back home.

And the distance worked out perfectly, just .03 miles over at the finish.

Time: 6:13 a.m.
Temp: 75 degrees (94 percent humidity)
Gear: CFSST (ING Georgia '07, New Balance red), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/C.

No comments: