Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 1,271: Back in Kula


KULA, Hi. -- Today I ran down from the mountain, via the Kula Highway and Lower Kula Road to the Holy Ghost Church.

A man was just opening the church up, so I got to see inside. Despite its small size, it looked pretty spacious. I counted four sets of nine pews that easily could seat six each.

The view was pretty wonderful. On the way back the hills didn't seem to be that big of a problem and although I told myself it would be fine to walk up the hilly (220 feet elevation gain in six-tenths of a mile) road back to my grandmother's house, I found myself able to handle the pretty technical hill.

I was able to accelerate on the very last bit and even though I scaled their hilly driveway, I still was huffing and puffing a little.

But now I'm glad I did it! It was an excellent way to close out a sad but good trip to Hawaii.

Time: 6 a.m.
Temp: 65 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Patagonia, red), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/B.

No comments: