Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 1,252: Summerfest 5K (new PR)

This was my third running of this 5K, having participated in it in 2004 and last year. I've trained on this course pretty much for an entire year, having really liked it last year and being pretty disappointed in my sub-30 minute time last year.

And I think the training paid off -- I made another PR, knocking nine seconds off my previous best at last fall's Inman Middle School 5K, also in the 'hood.

The first mile was really fast, but it didn't feel too fast -- 7:08. That was faster than when I broke my PR in the Inman 5K, when I did 7:15. I had tremendous energy going up the first hill.

I felt ok in the second mile, although I could feel my calf muscles warming up from being pretty tired.

Near the third mile, crossing North Highland at Virginia, the gf passed me and I really was trying to hold on. I saw however that I was pretty close to breaking my PR, so I settled in behind an older guy who outkicked me.

He turned to look at me right before the finish line, but I was just happy settle in behind him and have my PR since I was really racing no one but myself.

Time: 8 a.m.
Temp: 70 degrees
Gear: CFSST (Charles Harris '09), shorts, Nike Air Pegasus+ 26/B.

No comments: