Sunday, March 30, 2008

Day of Days, a year later

This morning I got ready for the ING half-marathon.

Only I didn't have to worry about running in it. I only had to worry about biking to work.

I thought about running in it this year, but not seriously. I liked doing it once but the hills were a bear. Plus the lack of Powerade and other problems from last year's race stuck in my mind.

Although I've run every day, my winter training really wasn't spectacular as in years past and it wouldn't have been sufficient for this race.

So, back to the bike. The course runs right by my front door in Virginia Highland. I rode down the wet sidewalk and cut through the neighborhood.

I wasn't expecting it to be that cold, but I warmed up a few minutes into it.

The course seemed a little different from a year ago -- I had to cut through it on North Avenue.

The coast was clear on the Freedom Park PATH but I had to wait at Baker-Highland and Central Park for the main body to pass and again at Baker-Highland and Piedmont.

With a little bit of water on the ground, my bike flowed smoothly on the road. It was nice that I was forced to bike, I'd like to ride more to work more often.

EDIT: I hear the race was much better put together this year, so it's something I may consider for the next.

No comments: